Monday, April 28, 2014

Thing 12: Books, Books, and More Books

I love to read (librarian, duh) and have a reading list that stretches from here to Texas, so this Thing was dangerous. 

I explored Wattpad first and immediately recommended it to my sister, who is a writer.  This is a great way to bring together writers and readers and let writers get some feedback on what they're writing.  It also seemed like a great way to connect readers with more of what they crave.  The app was fairly easy to use, although I felt kind of stuck inside books sometimes until I tapped just right and the menu would appear.  I thought it was great how writers could create from inside the apps as well, although I couldn't see a way to import a Word document or anything like that.  As a reader the downside is that you might have to sort through a lot of less than great writing before you find something that you like.  I see this app as more of a support and connection system between writers than necessarily an app for people who are solely readers.

At first I was very excited about YALSA's Teen Book Finder.  However, it's pretty limited as to what it can do.  There are only a few hot picks listed and no way to connect to similar titles.  There's not a lot offered as far as genres go and those that are offered are far too broad.  I can't determine exactly what the point is of this app.  At first it seems like it's supposed to be a reader's advisory discovery app, but the options are so limited it doesn't seem like it would be helpful for that.

As far as reader's advisory goes, the most helpful app I've used so far is Goodreads.  The rating and recommendation systems are very sleek and helpful in finding new books for users to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment